I do try and make writing resolutions or goals every year. Do I keep to them? I do try.
I don’t write, “I will” do this or do that. That is the quickest way to fail and break all resolutions. (now I am mirroring what I wrote last year. At least I am consistent.) I normally write, “I will try…”, that way if I fail, I have still tried. So in fairness, I haven’t failed at all.
So what are my goals for 2017? Pretty similar the previous year, if I am honest.
- I will TRY to write more. Whether it be everyday or only at weekends or even on the train to and from work, I will have my notebook and pen to hand for when the inspiration grabs me.
- I will TRY to finish at least two of my unfinished pieces of work. This will be anything from my novels (have about 5 unfinished) or my short stories.
- I will TRY to enter writing competitions. I know this is probably an easy one, but is it really? Deadlines come and go. It’s just the remembering to actually send the entries off on time.
- I will TRY to read more. Not just novels, but maybe a few non-fiction books as well. Especially “How To…” books like “How to Write a Novella in 24 Hours”. I got this as a Christmas present so I have actually started to read it already.
- I will TRY to attend more writing events. Well I have two written in the diary already. Go me! The London Book Fair in March at London Olympia. To show how serious I am with my writing and reading this year, I have become a member of the RSL (Royal Society of Literature) and I have signed up to attend one of their Masterclasses on the art of the Short Stories in February.
- I will TRY and keep my website updated. Unfortunately this is the one I normally fail on.
So did you set any writing resolutions or goals this year? Have you broken any already?